Yields 6 servings
- 4 sheets bloomed gelatin
- 2 c heavy whipping cream
- 2 c milk
- ½ c sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tonka bean or flavoring of choice, grated on a microplane (tonka bean can be ordered online)
- Place the gelatin sheets in a bowl of cold water to soak for 5 minutes while you cook the cream. (If you’re using powdered gelatin, let it soak in about 1/4 cup of the remaining cream, and stir it into the hot cream when you take it off the heat.)
- In a saucepan with a heavy bottom, combine cream, milk, sugar, and grated tonka bean.
- Bring just to a boil.
- Take the pot off the heat, remove the sheet gelatin from the cold water(squeezing any excess water out), and stir it into the cream mixture until it’s dissolved.
- Strain the mixture to remove any chunks of tonka bean into a pitcher.
- Set into vessel of choice, at Chestnut we use glasses.
- Allow to get firm, about two hours and garnish with cereals, fruits or sauces of your choice!