Chestnut To Host 2nd Annual Guest Chef Ramp Dinner
UPDATE 4/15/2019: This event is sold out.
Asheville’s Chestnut will host its second annual Guest Chef Ramp Dinner on April 23, 2019, featuring five local chefs and an assortment of dishes highlighting one of Appalachia’s most celebrated spring delicacies. In addition to notable chefs’ creative dishes, a local ramp forager will start the evening with a short discussion about the native edible plant.
Corner Kitchen’s executive chef Josh Chapman will be joined by Chestnut Executive Chef Brian Crow, Chef de Cuisine Kenneth Blalock of Copper Crown, Executive Chef Ryan Kline of Zambra Tapas Wine and Bar, and Executive Chef Duane Fernandes of Hemingway’s Cuba.
Ramps are one of the first vegetables to emerge from the soil after a long winter. With a flavor more pungent than garlic, leeks, and onions, they are coveted by chefs and foodies.
For Brian Crow, this event serves both a culinary and educational purpose. “The impetus for the guest chef ramp dinner was two things. First, an homage to ramps,” he said. “When I moved back to Asheville, I discovered that ramps are less and less sustainably sourced. To me, it was fundamental to showcase this unique vegetable and educate diners about the importance of its conservation. The other reason for this dinner is to encourage the collaboration and creativity of Asheville chefs. At Chestnut, it’s important to us that we continue to cultivate a culinary bond between independent restaurants.”
The evening includes five imaginative courses prepared by some of Asheville’s top chefs. Guests will be treated to:
– Ramp Croquette with Bourbon Bacon Jam
– Ramp Blini with Cured Trout, Trout Roe, Whipped Crème Fraiche, and Chives
– Rabbit Liver Espuma served with Wheat Crackers, Ramp Pesto, and Blueberry Gele
– Deviled Ramp Quail Eggs
– Mini Ramp Empanadas
1st Course – Executive Chef Brian Crow of Chestnut
– Spring Pea & Ramp Tortellini–House Made Lemon Ricotta, Local Morel Mushrooms, Olive Oil Poached Ramps, and Pea Shoots
Domaine De Belair, Pouilly Fume
2nd Course – Executive Chef Josh Chapman of Corner Kitchen
– Citrus Basted Scallop–Ramps Four Ways, Puffed Rice, Soy Pickled Shiitake, Ramp Top Dashi, and Yuzu Gele
Otto’s Pet Nat
3rd Course – Executive Chef Kenny Blalock of Copper Crown
– Crispy Smoked Frog Legs – Ramp Yogurt, Grilled Ramp Chow Chow, and Charred Citrus Ramp Puree
Dr. Collins Cocktail
4th Course – Executive Chef Duane Fernandes of Hemingway’s Cuba
– Cuban Style Baby Back Ribs–Ramp Emulsion, and Vidalia Onion Jam
Boojum Reward American Pale Ale
5th Course – Executive Chef Ryan Kline of Zambra
– Braised Lamb Neck–Ramp Hummus Tehina, Favas, Ramp Zhoug, Black Chickpeas, Sumac, and Laffa
Mumbai Smash Cocktail
Chef and Chestnut co-owner Joe Scully remarked, “Spring gives us many exciting ingredients. As it is the yearly rebirth, we believe it is appropriate to gather our friends together and make a great meal to celebrate all that is new.”
The event begins at 6:00 p.m. with passed hors d’oeuvres. Tickets are $125 per person to include food, alcohol, tax, and gratuity. Chestnut welcomes new and loyal guests to take part in this seasonal occasion. Tickets may be purchased online or you may call 828-274-2439.